THE MILLENNIAL KINGDOM
References to the Millenium
- OT passages - (Is. 11:4; Jer. 3:17; Zech 14:9)
- NT (Revelation 20 is the key chapter.)
Satan is bound for 1000 years
Rev 20:4 - All resurrected believers reign with Christ for 1000 years.
Rev 20:5 - the rest of the dead didn't come to life until the thousand years were
Rev 20:7 - when the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his
Why interpret these passages literally?
There are some good reasons that these passages should be interpreted literally, and
- The passages themselves don't give us any indication that they are
- The number 1000 is repeated many times, and no other symbolic term is ever used to
indicate some long period of time.
- If the Lord wanted us to know that it was a literal 1000 years, how else could He have
indicated this to us? If after reading verse after verse very literally say that
"such and such an event will be 1000 years, and then the next thing will happen,
lasting 1000 years, and then at the end of the 1000 years so and so..." we still say
it's symbolic, I would submit that it would be impossible for the Lord to have told us
that it was literal without using the word "literal 1000 years", and this
doesn't happen in the Bible.
Different Millennial views
- Premillennialism - The view that endtimes.org holds, teaches that there will be a
literal 1000 year reign of Jesus Christ on the earth, and that it will begin a number of days after the
second coming of Christ, which happens at the end of the tribulation. (The rapture views
are different within Premillennialism)
- Postmillennialism - Teaches that the 1000 years is not a literal thousand years, but a
long period of time, and that the world will be Christianized by the gospel, thus bringing
in the kingdom, and then a long period of peace call the millennium will ensue, ending
with the second coming of Christ, and heaven.
- Amillennialism - Teaches that the millennium is symbolic, that we have already realized
the millennium, and that we will go directly into eternity at the second coming. No
literal 1000 year reign of Christ after the second coming. Current day Amillennialism
teaches that Christ's present position at the right hand of God fulfills the OT promises of the kingdom.
The covenants and the millennial views
Prophecy Knowledge Handbook - John Walvoord (Victor)
Understanding End Times Prophecy - Paul N. Benware (Moody)
The Meaning of the Millennium - Robert G. Clouse (IVP)
Things to Come - J. Dwight Pentecost (Zondervan)
The Last Days Handbook - Robert P. Lightnew (Nelson)